Brain and Memory ScreeningA healthy brain is essential for everyone. The brain is in charge of all cognitive functions, which includes the ability to make decisions, problem solve, interpret surroundings and focus.
However, brain function can change as we age. During the aging process the brain may decrease in size, the blood flow to the brain may lessen and cognitive function may become impaired. Keeping your brain healthy is important as it is associated with quality of life as well as long term independence.
Brain and Memory Screening
Some aspects of cognitive function may start declining after the age of 25. However, what concerns many individuals is that they may develop dementia in their later years. And although dementia is associated with older individuals, it is not considered a normal process of aging. Cognitive function impairment is not inevitable.
Dementia is characterized by short term memory loss, but that alone is not sufficient. Other symptoms that are often overlooked should be present as well. They include:
- Trouble focusing
- Commutating less efficiently, vocabulary recall becomes difficult
- Decreased ability to reason, follow story lines and complete complex tasks
- Repeating what has been said previously
The VitalLife Brain Health Program assesses factors that may impact on your brain health. And our neurologist will create a personalized treatment program to enhance your brain health according to your test results. We look at the following:
- Genetic screening for APOE gene which shows your risk of Alzheimer’s disease
- Validated testing tools used to assess cognitive functioning
- Brain MRI Scan looking at the size and vasculature of the brain
- Kidney function tests
- Liver enzymes
- Heavy metal toxicity screening
- Evaluation of the blood for deficiencies (specific vitamins and electrolytes)
- Evaluation of specific hormones that influence mood and metabolism
- Complete blood count looking for abnormalities such as anemia (low red blood cells that carry oxygen to the brain)
- Evaluation of the blood sugar levels are important. Having a blood sugar level that is too high or too low can impact on brain function. Therefore, we check to see the average blood sugar level during the previous 2-3 months as levels can change daily.
After receiving Brain and Memory Screening Package, the neurologist will create a personalized treatment program to enhance your brain health.
And never to be forgotten, a healthy lifestyle both physical and mentally is the first line of defense against the changes associated with brain aging. Specific supplements and nutrients that support brain function, in addition to a cognitive training program, are examples of interventions that will help you maintain a healthy brain.