For some individuals it is an inconvenience whereas for others it is debilitating
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestines in 6–18% of people worldwide. Symptoms of IBS include lower abdominal pain and changes in bowel movements. It is a chronic condition that has to be managed long term. Some individuals with less severe IBS are able to control their symptoms by managing their lifestyle, diet and stress. If you struggle with this disorder, VitalLife has an expert irritable bowel syndrome doctor in Bangkok to help you manage your symptoms.
Poor sleep, stress, changes in gut bacteria and diet can all trigger symptoms of IBS in individuals. IBS presents differently in each individual as well, so it is hard to pinpoint triggers that everyone with the condition should avoid. Some causes of IBS include:
- Muscle contractions in the intestine
- Abnormalities in the nervous system
- Inflammation in the intestines
- Severe infection
- Changes in the gut microbiome
Symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Symptoms for IBS vary by person and are triggered by different things. VitalLife, your IBS clinic in Bangkok, can help review the symptoms you are dealing with. Common symptoms of IBS include:
- Diarrhea - Diarrhea is one of the three main symptoms of IBS. It affects about one-third of patients.
- Pain and cramping - This is the most common symptom and a crucial factor in diagnosing IBS. The pain usually occurs in the lower abdomen and is less severe after a bowel movement.
- Constipation - Constipation affects 50% of patients. If you have less than three bowel movements a week, this is considered constipation.
- Gas and bloating - IBS causes more gas production in the gut, which in turn causes uncomfortable bloating.
- Changes in bowel movements - IBS alters the time that stool remains inside your intestines. This results in the intestines either not being able to absorb enough water or absorbing too much. The stool will either be watery and loose, or dry and hard.
- Food intolerance - Specific foods can trigger IBS for many individuals. Patients with IBS typically avoid certain food groups. Trigger foods can be different for each individual. A few common ones are lactose and gluten.
- Fatigue - IBS is often related to insomnia (difficulty falling asleep) and not being able to sleep well (difficulty staying asleep). Individuals with IBS are more fatigued and sleep less than people without.
- Anxiety and depression - Dealing with IBS symptoms can make people more prone to anxiety and depression. Unfortunately, digestive symptoms and anxiety reinforce each other. Taking measures to lower anxiety can help reduce IBS symptoms.
VitalLife’s Treatments for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Include:
- IV nutrient therapy
- Micronutrient screening
- DNA wellness and nutrigenomics
- Food intolerance testing
- Intestinal profile
If a patient has severe IBS symptoms, food intolerance testing, intestinal profiles, and micronutrient screening will help determine positive treatment options (see fig. 1).
As your irritable bowel syndrome doctor in Bangkok, we want to help you avoid and manage any IBS symptoms you might have. Contact us today at +66 2066 8899 to make a consultation appointment and learn more about our treatments for IBS, and be on your way to optimal health.
Fig 1. I., Benjamin. “Does Irritable Bowel Syndrome Exist? Identifiable and Treatable Causes of Associated Symptoms Suggest It May Not.” MDPI, Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 18 July 2019, www.mdpi.com/2624-5647/1/3/27/htm
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Treatments
IV Nutrient Therapy
With multiple personalized formulas this approach brings renewed youth to your appearance and is a great addition to a health focused anti-aging regimenLearn more
Consider nutraceuticals as a natural approach, in partnership with an expert physician, ensuring safe and effective care for multiple conditionsLearn more
Our expert physicians are like detectives using the most up-to-date tests to determine which foods are producing the negative symptoms being experiencedLearn more
Gut Health Analysis Intestinal Profile
Gut health is more important than realized. If the gut lining is not intact or the beneficial bacteria are not in balance, negative symptoms are commonly feltLearn more